- At EcoFique we understand that “innovation” pursued with partners who share our vision and values, is the answers to a brighter future towards a sustainable food chain and environment.
- Our mission: To produce 100% organic products for agriculture which help to improve the environment around us!
- EcoFique is an example of the circular economy movement!
- Our company stands for 100% ecological and biological principles, our R&D organization is constantly looking for reduction of risks, better yields, new product developments’
- Efforts are aimed at finding solutions to stop the ever-increasing use of chemical products used in today’s agriculture.
- At EcoFique, we cultivate and make 100% of the ingredients used in our production process to produce the products that are delivered to our customers.
- EcoFique is proud of its innovative methods for the cultivation and transformation methods of the Fique residues to help solve one of Colombia’s serious agricultural environmental problems.
- For many decades Colombian farmers cultivated the Fique plant for its fibers only which comprises 4% only of the plants leafs total weight and content.
- We use all of the Fique plant’s specific elements and transform them into excellent quality 100% organic fertilizers, fungicides and nematicides.
What does EcoFique stand for ….
- The EcoFique company was founded by a number of enthusiastic Dutch and Colombian entrepreneurs who have been researching the bio-diversity and natural ingredients of the Fique plant for many years.
- The innovative techniques developed by EcoFique go much further than the traditional harvesting & defibring techniques to process the valuable waste materials for the further production into new innovative high-quality, vegetal origin fertilizers, fungicides and nematicides.
- For over 50 years, much of Colombia – and in particular its agricultural heartland – was closed off to the outside world due to the country’s decades long civil war.
- Only in recent years scientists began to discover Colombia’s unprecedented biological diversity.
- Several leading western R&D companies have already established themselves in Colombia with centers to investigate its vast unspoiled lands with many unknown and exotic plants that grow in the countryside and jungle.
- EcoFique’s strength is based on its founders’ close ties with EcoFingers Colombia S.A.S., whose R & D team is completely focused on investigating the active elements of the Fique and other plants and the use of these elements for the pharmaceutical and agricultural industry.
- This led to “EcoFique”, a company focused on organically cultivating Fique plants, our processing plant reforms and sells All the Fique plant components.
- EcoFique is a very innovative, organic production oriented company – with newly registered technology by our associated company – we developed sustainable solutions to the serious environmental problems with the cultivation of Fique in Colombia, while creating new, highly valued products for the worldwide agricultural sector.
La Esmeralda Plantation
- Our Hacienda: La Esmeralda is located in the mountainous region (Cordillera Occidental) of the province of Valle del Cauca.
- It offers us an excellent natural environment for us to grow the Fique plant.
- Our farm is located between 1050 and 1900 meters above sea level and offers completely clean and rich “organic” soil (tested on several locations).
- The farm is set along a river for the supply of fresh water year-round from the river Rio Garrapatas
See more pictures of the Esmeralda Plantation? See our media page
EcoFique Staff Members
Our team consists of International specialist mainly from The Netherlands and Colombia; our team has extensive experience in agriculture, innovative mechanization
and in developing new business in general to create important added “value”.
CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- Willem from the very first moment has been involved with the development and wide array of aspects of the EcoFique project. As an industrial engineer and chemical specialist; with a broad career and experience in the management of international agricultural processing industries, construction, safety management, quality control, logistics, international freight & contracting, appointed honorary member of EVO for his achievements in international transport, he is well known with all the relevant processes.
- Versalles is his home town and has been in close contact with the Colombian society for 25 years.
- From Dutch origins but born in South East Asia he grew up, studied, lived and worked in many parts of the world, the entrepreneurs blood streams through his veins.
Jan Willem van Otterlo
- Jan Willem has been involved in an entrepreneurial general managers role in many parts of the world, has been managing large equity investment and real estate related projects in Central – and Eastern Europe; agriculture projects in Africa and Spain and has been responsible for several large start up projects in Western Europe.
- Jan Willem has a 35 year track record awarded with several international and national awards for his achievements.
- He moved one year ago from an organic agriculture project in the South of Spain to Colombia to assist the management in starting up the complete operation.
Adriana P. Ospina Isaza
Management Assistant & Public Relations
- Adriana was born and grew up in Manizales but was partly also raised in Versalles Valle del Cauca, her family have been cattle farmers for several generations in the Versalles region and are well aware of the issues involving agricultural activities in this region of Colombia.
- Adriana and her family are our stable partners who are also guiding EcoFique towards a joint success in this Valle del Cauca region.
- Adriana will be responsible for Public Relations issues and assist the management, she is looking forward to attending our visitors and explore the guest cabins at the plantation to show visitors around and arrange trips and horseback trails.
- Our co-operation with EcoFingers SAS gives us direct access to a very sophisticated R&D laboratory with up to date equipment for any kind of tests.
- EcoFingers unique partnership provides us the possibility to develop new products and applications and intensify International contacts with universities in The Netherlands and Colombia; with professional industry and agricultural partners like McCain, Koppert, Barenbrug and others we are able to be actively involved in trials and new product developments and improvements.
- EcoFingers will start the construction of a production plant to produce high quality fertilizers, fungicides, nematicides and more products presently under development.
- With CIA de Empaques SAS, Agricapital and Other Companies based in Medellin agreements are in place for the secured purchase of the fibers. CIA de Empaques is a long-established company on the Colombian and international markets for fibers.
- Our contract; with a set price for 15 years, including a price inflation correction, is the secure basis which we are sharing with the investors in our project.
- We are discussing with EcoPetrol SAS, the leading petrol company in Colombia a number of possible projects to whom we could directly deliver pre-transformed fique juice and bagasse in large quantities for the use of the production of products like: Methanol, Bio-Kerosene etc.
- For our fiscal and legal issues in Colombia we are proud to work together with PricewaterhouseCoopers, all contracts and agreements as well as future audits are being handled by PwC.
- Bancolombia, the largest commercial bank in Colombia is our banking relation.
Do you want to partner up? Just let us know!